Friday, August 20, 2010

What I Did on My Summer Vacation.

I had great intentions to get a lot done on my staycation. It was the first full week of vacation time I think I've taken from my job in the five years I've been there. So I wanted to make the best use of my time.

I spent the first two days doing absolutely nothing and thoroughly enjoying the delicious fact that I was on vacation. On Monday I visited the university where my husband teaches and where I got my Masters. More unstructured time to read and surf the internet in the library and student union and drink a latte in the Starbuck's on campus.

Tuesday, I was going to get serious and work on cleaning and packing for our imminent move (once we get the house on the market and actually sell it). But I also had a headache and our air conditioning is not what you'd call efficient. The only places it is actually the temperature the thermostats say it is is the rooms where the units are. There are lots of in between spots--like the kitchen--where it is warmer. So any activity produces profuse sweating. The heat and the headache were making me nauseus. So I cooled down and took a nap and went into town with my husband when he went to teach at a local music store. We share a car and I thought I'd run some errands or work on our budget on my laptop.

Well, those plans were foiled when I realized I'd left my wallet at home--no money, debit card or books-a-million card to get me on the wireless, and my husband and I decided we'd run the errands together when he got off because he wanted to go to the store where I needed to run the errands. So I spent about an hour and a half reading antique and art magazines. Damn the bad luck! However, I did work on the budget when we got home that evening.

Yesterday was a bit more productive. I managed to load and run the dishwasher, get a couple loads of laundry on, mop up the kitchen floor and work in the bedroom for a couple of hours. I also paid some bills and faxed some paperwork to our mortgage company. So got some necessary tasks done before I was overcome by a nap around 5 p.m.

So today, here I am on my last day of vacation. I should stay home and work around the house but will probably go back to the university with my husband and read a novel I've started on my vacation. Tomorrow the weekend starts. Maybe I'll get something done in the next two days before I go back to work on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you guys were planning on moving...where are ya headed???

    ReplyDelete